In my previous post, I wrote about the Erasmus+ project we had worked on in Diekirch, Luxembourg. I described the process of making literal videos and I announced I was planning to try this activity on a smaller scale with my own students. And I kept my promise.
This is what we’ve done so far: last Wednesday, I showed the results of the Erasmus+ project to a group of my B1 students and I suggested we could create something similar. They quite liked the idea so I asked them to look for suitable video clips they could work on.
The next day, we went to a PC room where the students worked in pairs (and a group of three). I handed out some headphones so that they didn’t disturb each other while listening to the videos.
When monitoring the class, it struck me as surprising that two teams were describing the scenes in Czech. I implied that it was not a very good idea because then it might be too challenging and time-consuming to transfer the L1 lyrics to L2. Some of them agreed and switched into English.
One pair chose to take notes on paper while the others used a Word document. Needless to say, each team worked at a different pace and as we only had one lesson, I asked them to catch up at home if necessary.
We’ll continue on Monday and I think the products will be ready sometime next week. The most challenging part will definitely be the performance. Although this particular group of students is one of the most creative and enthusiastic bunches, singing live in front of the others is not an easy task for anybody.
Also, I’m not sure yet how we’ll present the results since we don’t have the equipment and software we had in Luxembourg. The students will probably have to find a karaoke version of the song and sing along with it, using their new lyrics, or we’ll mute the sound in the original video and they’ll sing a capella. We might also need to produce copies of the new lyrics so that we can follow easily. We don’t want to miss the jokes. I secretly count on the fact that my students are tech-savvy so hopefully, some of them may eventually come up with a way of inserting the new lyrics into the video.
There’s one more issue I’m a bit concerned about; I’m not sure how I will deal with students who are reluctant to share their results with the rest of the class. I’ll probably have to be tolerant and let them choose if they want to have a go or not. Well, it’s a process in progress so we’ll see.